Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Day 34

Look at us, posting three days in a row!!

It's been a busy day for little Zachary. He got his blood drawn and his anemia is getting a bit worse so tonight he is getting a series of three transfusions. Here's the process: he's given blood over two hours, then he gets a six hour break, then more blood over two hours, then another six hour break, then he gets the last bit of blood he needs, then a four hour break, then they are going to check his blood levels to make sure he's doing okay with the new blood.

The good news is that he is doing so well with the weaning off the CPAP and with all his new blood, they expect to get him off the CPAP on Saturday!!! WHOO HOO! He will still get oxygen through his nose via a tiny tube (like the clear ones you see on ER and Grey's Anatomy), but not the pressure of the CPAP. This is awesome news!

We also found out he is not moving to a different pod here in NICU III. With him being weaned off the CPAP, he may "graduate" to NICU II as early as Tuesday of next week, which is a step closer to him coming home! He will be in NICU II for quite awhile, but this is definitely a step in the right direction! In NICU II, he will have more stimulation and in a few weeks they will start to try to get him to drink his milk via a bottle. We'll tell you all more about NICU II once he moves there. In the meantime we are still in noisy pod D, but thankfully he is in his baby condo so he is sheltered a bit from the noise and the hustle and bustle that is going on around him.

Well, that's about all the news around here today. Thanks for remembering us in your thoughts and prayers and please also say a little prayer for sweet Brinson. She had a rough day today and could use some prayers for healing and strength. For more details about Brinson, here's the link to her blog again, http://brinsons-buzz.blogspot.com/.

Thanks and love to all!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay, for Zachary!!! Thanks for the updates. The pics from the other day were so cute. I loved the double finger hold pic. He's such a good baby. :) You guys have a great weekend. Keep up the good work Zachary! XOXOXO

Jessica M.

mariannekrancher said...

Sounds like more good news for little Zachary. Great! Glad to hear he'll be getting off the Oxygen & moving to level 2 NICU soon. That's fantastic! keep us posted....can't wait to see new pics...Will continue to pray for Baby Brinson!

Anonymous said...

I didn't know Zachary has a little girlfriend! How cute!
Glad everything is going well.

Your in my thoughts and prayers.
Love ya,
Mandi

Anonymous said...

uhmm... I meant you're in my thoughts and prayers...
yay for grammar skills!

-mandi

Anonymous said...

I wanted to tell you how much I appreciate all the comfort and prayers your family has been giving to my daughter Lisa and granddaughter Brinson and son in law Ned....I have been keeping up with little Zachary like I have been with Brinson. I do think there is a bond there that will never be broken.
Thank you again and I send prayers everyday to you and yours.

Love,
Mary Tatman (Meme)

Anonymous said...

Hey there- I'm so sorry I never made it by today to see Brinson and Zachary. Things were nutty in labor and delivery! It was great to chat with you guys in the cafeteria- I'll keep checking your sites (its part of my daily routine!) to check on my 2 favorite preemies, and I promise to make it by NICU next week when I'm there!
Megan

Anonymous said...

I have to tell you, I am so happy that Z may be moving to NICU II but at the same time, I'm not sure what we will do without you "near" us. Talk about bittersweet! Just tell them when he does move upstairs to save a spot near him for Brinny. He is a tough little boy and I can't wait to see him with a nasal cannula! That is soooo exciting! Glad to see him after his transfusion....he's PINK now! (Sorry Stephen lol) Remember, purple rice for dessert tomorrow night! :P